Burundi’s Pierre Nkurunziza in ‘no revenge’ pledge

Burundi’s government will not take revenge against those involved in last week’s failed coup, President Pierre Nkurunziza’s office has said.


Those implicated would be brought to justice in accordance with the rule of law, it added in a statement.

South Africa’s President Jacob Zuma has called for Burundi’s presidential election to be indefinitely postponed.

Protests are continuing in the capital, Bujumbura, against Mr Nkurunziza’s third-term bid.

The presidential poll is due to be held on 26 June. Mr Nkurunziza has so far refused to bow to pressure to postpone it.

Several alleged leaders of the coup attempt have been arrested but Gen Godefroid Niyombare, who announced it in a radio broadcast last Wednesday, remains on the run.

Mr Nkurunziza’s office said the government did “not have and will never have a plan for revenge that we are reading and hearing about in various places”.

“The people involved in the shameful attempt to overthrow legitimate institutions will be arrested and prosecuted by the law and only by the law. And it will be up to the courts to determine their punishment as prescribed by the law,” it added.

On Monday, Mr Nkurunziza sacked three cabinet ministers, including the defence minster.

His office denied that the decision was linked to the coup attempt.

The UN refugee agency says that more than 105,000 people have fled Burundi into neighbouring countries.