SPLM-IO commander, Gatdet Dak has claimed that ttheir forces around Nimule town in Eastern Equatoria state at South Sudan’s border with Uganda under the overall command of Major General Martin Kenyi pre-empted attack by government forces on their positions in the area.
“Clashes occurred inside Nimule town on Sunday at 1am until 4am when our forces withdrew from the town after destroying government’s war logistics in the area,” he said.
He added that opposition forces will be forced to close the trade route between Uganda and South Sudan at the Nimule border unless President Salva Kiir’s government accepted peace and signed an agreement with the rebels.
A resident of Nimule town confirmed the shooting but could not ascertain who was responsible for the incident.
“The shooting started at about 1:30am on Sunday….not far from my house. I was awakened by the loud sound of AK47s,” Philip Thon Aleu posted in the social media on Sunday.
“After about 10 minutes, while I was now guessing what was happening, sounds of guns came from Malakaya suburb. I made phone calls there and I was told some gunmen attacked a check point. After another few minutes, several shots were fired from Malakaya again and a thick smoke arose. Three trucks are set ablaze,” Aleu further narrated on his Facebook.
This is the second time the rebels claimed carrying out attack in the area. Last year, forces under the command of General Martin Kenyi claimed attack on government’s forces in the area and warned they would close the main trade route linking South Sudan with Uganda.
South Sudan Tribune