The waiting and suspicion is over, the Federation of International Football Associations (FIFA) has finally confirmed the Group J 2014 World Cup qualifier between Senegal and Uganda Cranes will be played in Morocco.
Originally the game was meant to be played in Conakry, Guinea, but the world body together with CAF moved the game to another venue.
According to the FIFA information desk and the website, the game will be played on September 7 at the Stade de Marrakech Stadium.
Senegal’s home ground was banned by the World body because of crowd trouble last year.
The Uganda Cranes are currently second with eight points, one less than Senegal. The Cecafa regional champions need an outright win to qualify for the last phase of the World Cup qualifiers, while Senegal can afford a draw and sail through.
The two teams settled for a 1-1 draw in the first meeting at the Mandela National Stadium, Namboole, last year.
Papiss Cisse, who scored in Senegal’s game in Kampala and currently has four goals to his credit in the qualifiers, will miss the game in Morocco after accumulating two yellow cards.
Cranes coach Milutin ‘Micho’ Sredojevic told reporters in the post-match press conference that irrespective of where the game is played, his team simply has to prepare well.
“Of course Morrocco is even nearer for most of the Senegal professionals based in Europe. But all we need to do is prepare well to be able to win the game and qualify to the next round,” said Micho.
Since taking over on May 21st, the Serbian has won four matches and lost one away to Libya in an International friendly.
The Cranes beat Liberia and Angola in 2014 World Cup qualifier ties and defeated Tanzania twice in the 2014 Africa Nations Championship qualifiers, all under Micho.