Two Congolese refugees have been confirmed dead after the Monday Kibaale bus accident which left 20 refugees hospitalized.
The deceased have been identified as Ndikubwami Alikiki, a male adult, and a 9 month old toddler. Ndikubwami died shortly after reaching Fort Portal hospital while the toddler died shortly after the accident.
Ndikubwami had been transferred from Kagadi hospital with 8 other accident victims.
The transfer from Kagadi hospital had been authorised by the United Nations High Commission For Refugees (UNHCR) under whose care the refugees are.
Alice Litunga, the UNHCR field office head, said the dead had succumbed to excessive internal bleeding. She said the survivors were now responding well to treatment from Medicine Sans Frontiers and a Kagadi clinic.
The accident occurred on Monday afternoon at 2:00pm on Kagadi-Hoima road at Rwengeye hill in Kyenzige sub-county in Kibaale District.
The Horizon bus registration number UAN 292D which they were travelling in failed to round a corner and overturned.
The deceased were part of 60 passengers who were being transported to Kyangwali refugee camp, Hoima from Bundigubyo district.
Charles Sebambulide, the Mid-Western Region Police commander, confirmed the accident. He said police was still investigating the cause of the accident.
The wreckage of the bus was towed from the scene to Kagadi police station.