August 6, 2013

Uganda, US In Talks Over Renewed Kony Hunt

The Uganda government is in talks with the United States to resume the hunt for Joseph Kony and his Lord Resistance Army (LRA) rebel outfit.

Background talks indicate the two countries are ready to restart the hunt for Kony that was halted over two months ago after the Seleka rebels in Central African Republic deposed the government of President Francois Bozize.

LRA's elusive leader Joseph Kony is said to have crossed back into CAR
LRA’s elusive leader Joseph Kony is said to have crossed back into CAR

US Deputy Defence Secretary Ash Carter, who was in the country last week held closed door talks with the Ugandan Army chiefs and also had a telephone conversation with President Yoweri Museveni over the matter.

The US Department of Defense says on its website that Carter’s trip to Uganda was a timed visit for America to renew its commitment with the Ugandan forces in the hunt for Joseph Kony and also ensure regional stability.

The US has 100 soldiers deployed for the mission in Central African Republic (CAR), but who are currently in Kampala.

UPDF spokesperson Paddy Ankunda told local media that the UPDF was in talks with the CAR government to help in the continuation of the hunt. He confirms that Uganda has been in talks with the US government.

This comes a week after over 100 US legislators signed a bi-partisan letter calling on President Barack Obama to address the violence of the LRA in CAR.

A report authored by the Resolve LRA campaign group shows that the LRA is left with around 493 combatants but only 253 of those are armed and ready for battle. It also points out that over 15% of the LRA’s former top brass has defected which has further weakened the force.

Enable Notifications    Ok No thanks