Another Ugandan has been identified as a victim of the on-going clashes between government forces and rebels loyal to Dr. Riek Machar in South Sudan.
The Ugandan, identified as Adam Muzamil was reportedly killed in Juba, the South Sudan capital. It is further believed that an estimated 2,000 Ugandans are still stranded at the United Nations base waiting for evacuation.
His wife Maida Kamal says they were informed that though Muzamil worked in Jonglei state for a non-governmental organisation (NGO), he had been in Juba at the time.
Maida says Muzamil had probably fled the fierce fighting that has been going on in Jonglei state, especially in the state’s capital Bor. He was shot by gunmen whose intent was not disclosed to the relatives.
He was planning to return home to spend the Christmas holidays with his family at the time of his death.
Instead, his family buried him on Monday evening at his ancestral home in Adjumani.
The Adjumani District Police Commander (DPC) Andrew Kaggwa confirms that he is aware a burial took place on Monday evening but he could not confirm if the person had died in Juba, South Sudan.
A native of Kitgum where his parents hail from, Muzamil studied in Gulu Central High School and Kampala International University.
Muzamil reportedly worked for the Emirates airline until a year ago when he joined Maryline, an NGO that deals in relief items and childrens needs.
Since the south Sudan conflict broke out, four Ugandans have reportedly died. They include one truck driver identified as Tom Asaba, a turn-man only identified as Moses who were shot on their way from Sudan. Other Ugandans who died include Ayub Abas Aloro, Jamal Alinga, and Rashid Agu who hails from Yumbe.
Muzamil is so far the fifth person to die following the south Sudan unrest.