Ugandan Defence Minister Chrispus Kiyonga has told the country’s Parliament that a committee has been set up in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to locate Ugandans both dead and alive in neighboring South Sudan following a failed ‘coup attempt’.
Kiyonga, who is the chair of the committee, urges the public with information regarding the fate of Ugandans in Juba South Sudan should inform the committee.
As soon as they are done with their findings, they should report so that Cabinet can convene and discuss the matter.
The committee also comprises of State Minister for Foreign Affairs Okello Oryem, Information Minster Rose Namayanja, Minister for Trade Amelia Kyambadde and Internal Affairs Minister Aronda Nyakairima.
His comments followed Gilbert Oulanya MP Kilak County raising the matter on the floor of Parliament stating that many Ugandans are stranded in Juba yet there is no transport back home. Most of their commodities had also been looted by soldiers in South Sudan.
Earlier on Wednesday, Namayanja announced that the government is engaged in intense preparations to evacuate Ugandans trapped in the South Sudan conflict that was sparked off by a failed coup attempt.
In a statement Namayanja indicated that government is working with authorities in South Sudan to evacuate Ugandan citizens at the earliest possible opportunity.
She says the current situation poses a serious danger to the safety of many civilians, including Ugandan traders and other citizens living and working in South Sudan.