February 27, 2014

Gulu Hospital Seeks Shs 3.6Billion For Staff Accommodation

Gulu-HospitalGulu regional referral hospital is hunting for about 3.6 billion shillings for the construction of a staff accommodation block. Up to 87% of the hospital staffs don’t have accommodation while the remaining 13% live in the dilapidated staff quarters.

Nathan Onyachi, the director Gulu regional referral hospital says they have failed to attract more health workers and lost experts because of lack of staff accommodation facilities. He says they intend to construct at least 52 units, which he believes will motive staff to work hard and attract new health professionals to the hospital.

Onyachi says the available staff quarters are not worth living in.

Onyachi says they expect 1 billion shillings from government in the next financial for the staff housing development but says this will lead to more frustration as it will take long to complete the units. He appealed to the government to consider giving the money appropriately so that the construction can get started.

Nathan Onyachi, the director says they have failed to attract more health workers and lost experts because of lack of staff accommodation facilities.
Nathan Onyachi, the director says they have failed to attract more health workers and lost experts because of lack of staff accommodation facilities.

Gulu regional referral hospital currently has 310 staffs including doctors, midwives, nurses, administrators and support staff among others. Dr Kenneth Omona, the chair Parliamentary health committee says many health facilities in the country have similar problems.

He says his committee will forward the matter so as government can take steps to find a remedy. In Soroti regional hospital, 80% of the 287 staff stay outside the hospital and some have to move about 12 kilometers to work. Fort Portal regional hospital has accommodation for only 70 out of 338 Staff.

1 thought on “Gulu Hospital Seeks Shs 3.6Billion For Staff Accommodation

  1. Hospitals should provide services to patients and not housing to health workers.Rented accomadation or units for sale should be the duty of the ministry of housing or some private invester.

Comments are closed.

Enable Notifications    Ok No thanks