Second Al Shabab Attack In Kenya Leaves 10 Dead

Hotels, restaurants and the police station were attacked
Hotels, restaurants and the police station were attacked

Islamist gunmen have killed ten people in a night-time raid on Kenya’s coast just 24 hours after an attack left 50 dead.

Meanwhile, Kenya has stepped up security across the country a day after the militants from Somalia killed almost 50 people in the town of Mpeketoni.

“Security has been beefed up across the country,” Kenyan Interior Minister Joseph Ole Lenku said on Monday.

Lenku called the killing a “heinous act perpetrated by bandits”, saying that security forces have chased the attackers down to a remote forest bordering Somalia.

“We must bring to book the perpetrators,” he noted.

According to witnesses, late on Sunday, around 50 heavily-armed gunmen stormed a local police station in Mpeketoni, before starting to shoot at civilians randomly.

The attackers also set fire to two hotels where local residents were watching FIFA World Cup matches.

According to local police officials, 49 people were killed in the assault.

“Attackers hijacked a van from Witu town, which they used for the attacks. They raided Mpeketoni police station first and opened fire,” said Mpeketoni area administration police chief Hamaton Mwaliko.

“Some hotels in the town are on fire. We understand the attackers have already fled but our officers are pursuing them.”

Somalia’s al-Shabab militant group has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Kenya currently has over 4,000 army soldiers stationed in southern Somalia, where they have been battling al-Shabab. The country sent troops into Somalia in late 2011, after al-Shabab fighters carried out a series of raids inside Kenya.

Al-Shabab militants have been pushed out of the capital Mogadishu and other major cities in Somalia by the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM), which is made up of troops from Uganda, Burundi, Djibouti, Sierra Leone and Kenya.

Subscribe for notification