Bundibugyo Mass Graves: Police Start Exhuming Bodies

The coordinated attacks which took place on July 5th in the districts of Ntoroko, Kasese and Bundibugyo left 90 people dead.
The coordinated attacks which took place on July 5th in the districts of Ntoroko, Kasese and Bundibugyo left 90 people dead.

The Uganda Police has started exhuming bodies in three mass graves in Bundibugyo district.

The three mass graves located in Bundimulombi village, Kirumya Sub County, were unearthed by the locals days after the July 5th violent clashes in which 92 people were killed. Last week, the police secured a court order to have the bodies exhumed.

While about 55 of the dead were buried by the army near Kanyamwirima Army Barracks on July 6, residents later discovered three mass graves in Kirumya sub-county. It is believed that the graves contain bodies of people who were either killed by the residents during the clashes or were fleeing attackers killed by residents and local security persons. The circumstances under which the bodies were buried are still unknown.

The exhumation exercise started at 2:00pm and is being carried out by pathologists and doctors from the police headquarters under the supervision of Thomas Kasimo, the Rwenzori region Police Commander.

Kasimo told local media that they aren’t sure of the number of bodies in the mass graves. He says that if the bodies are identified, they will be given to their relatives for a decent burial.

At the time of filling the story, the police assisted by some residents were still digging the graves.

Subscribe for notification