DRC Govt: Kinshasa Attackers Came From Brazzaville

DR Congo has a long history of instability
DR Congo has a long history of instability

The government in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) says the attackers on a military Barracks in the capital Kinshasa are part of a group of people who were expelled from Congo Brazzaville.

On Tuesday, gunmen attacked Camp Tshatshi, a military facility near the presidential palace before they were repulsed by the government forces.

The government now says that a total of 8 people have been confirmed dead as a result of the attack among them a Congolese government soldier. DRC government spokesperson Lambert Mende says that that although there is no armed group which goes by the name “returned from Brazzaville”, the attackers are part of a group that was expelled from the neighbouring country.

Mende says some of the attackers are people who were expelled from Congo-Brazzaville in April 2014 on grounds that they were from the DRC.

Mende adds that the government has initiated investigations to find out the motive of the attack saying that some of the attackers without specifying the number were captured and are being held at a secret location in Kinshasa.

The attack on the barracks in Kinshasa prompted hundreds of people to free their homes as the government battled the militants for about 30 minutes. The government now says that calm has so far been restored to the area and are now advising people to return to their homes.

Subscribe for notification