The Uganda government has distanced itself from claims it issued an a terror alert warning of an attack on the country’s Entebbe International Airport advising all to ignore the US-Uganda embassy ‘alarmist terror alert’ on Uganda.
This was revealed by government spokesperson, Ofwono Opondo via micro-blogging site twitter.
“Uganda government has not issued terror alert on Entebbe International AirportAdvise to all, ignore US-Uganda embassy alarmist terror alert on Uganda, carry on with your normal activities” Opondo tweeted via @o
On Thursday, US officials in Kampala claimed to have been warned of a specific terror threat to Entebbe Airport. The US Embassy released a statement saying that the attack was planned for Thursday, 3 July, between the hours of 2100-2300.
The embassy said it received information on the threat from the Uganda Police Force.
However, the government spokesperson said the US embassy spread an otherwise routine caution in an alarmist fashion adding that “Government appreciates every piece of information on possible terror, but must be analyzed before publicizing”
In an interview with international media, Uganda’s inspector general of police, General Kale Kayihura, said he gave no such warning to the embassy but said police had taken “extra measures” to protect the airport.
“As I talk now, Entebbe airport is very secure, the planes are coming in and out as normal, and there should be no alarm,” he said.
The country’s Civil Aviation Authority has also spoken out on the terror threats, assuring the public of total security.
The US Embassy’s terror warning was the fourth in the country since October last year with the Uganda National Museum believed to be a specific target in February and March earlier this year.
In May, the US Embassy warned of a potential terror attack in Kampala based on intelligence information about a group of attackers planning to strike targets around the Ugandan capital.