The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has dismissed a protest by the Federation of Uganda Football Association (Fufa) that some Zambian players who featured for their U-17 team are over age.
Edgar Watson, the Fufa Chief Executive Officer confirmed on Wednesday at the headquarters in Mengo that they had received a letter from CAF that the protest was not successful.
Zambia’s U-17 side ejected Uganda Cubs 4-1 on aggregate in the last stage of the qualifiers to the 2015 Africa U-17 Championship which will take place in Niger.
Watson said in the letter signed by the Secretary General, CAF told them that according to their details, the Zambian players who Uganda complained about are not over age as claimed. The Zambia U-17 team beat Uganda Cubs 2-0 in Lusaka before winning 2-1 at the Nakivubo Stadium last Saturday.
Uganda’s protest letter had questioned three players; Patson Daka, Enock Mwepu and Changwe Kalale. Fufa had insisted that according to one of the publications in Zambia (Tupmfweko) in a story published last year, Kalale was said to be born on March 31, 1997 which made him over age for the 2015 qualifiers.
But Watson said since the letter only came last night, he will table it to the Fufa executive so that a decision can be made whether to appeal the decision or forget about the issue and move forward. Fufa paid UGX5,000,000 (US$2,000) as a protest fee to CAF.
In 2010, CAF disqualified Uganda’s then Under-17 side after it was discovered that in a 3-1 aggregate win over Zambia in the qualifiers, Uganda fielded an overage player, Ivan Ntege.