General David Sejusa shall not join the ruling National Resistance Movement party but will continue with political activism, the Free Uganda Party has said in a statement.
In a fresh statement, the party spokesperson of General David Sejusa’s Free Uganda Movement said that the renegade general was not welcomed at the airport by the ISO director Colonel Ronny Barya as earlier communicated by the government spokesperson Ofwono Opondo.
Dr Vicent Magombe said that their party leader (General David Sejusa) returned to the country to further the party’s idea of dislodging the current leadership of the country.
“After serious consideration and consultations within FU leadership and with FU activists and supporters outside and inside Uganda Free Uganda has decided to relocate to Uganda to continue the struggle for change while based on the ground,” Magome said.
“Accordingly an advanced party led by the FU chairman Gen Sejusa arrived in Uganda last night And were met by Gen Sejusa ‘s lawyer. Free Uganda refutes the false and malicious claims in some sections of the Ugandan media that Gen Sejusa was welcomed by ISO operatives, who naturally were also deployed at the airport having got intelligence of the FU homecoming,” he added.
An earlier statement from the government spokesperson had said that Sejusa was received at the airport by the Director General of the ISO Col. Barya, a statement the party has denied. Telephone calls to Barya went unanswered.
General Sejusa returned to the country on Sunday morning at 3;20 am aboard a British Airways plane, he was received at the airport by his lawyer Ladislaus Rwakafuzi.
Sejusa, who spent a year and half in London had his asylum request turned down by the UK government last month, a reason partly attributed to his return.
In his first hours of return, Sejusa has been at his country home in Sembabule where he paid last respects to his late father and also inspected his farm.
Sejusa fled the country after authoring a dossier that incriminated senior army generals of a plot to kill senior army commanders opposed to a succession plan of the President.
In the dossier, Sejusa alleges that Museveni has been carrying out a plan to place his son – Brigadier Muhoozi Kainerugaba to take over power from him in 2021.
The statement also says Sejusa’s party has started advanced negotiations with other opposition parties to have a clear plan for the upcoming elections.