Maria Kiwanuka Survives Assassination

A man who attempted to break into the office of former Finance Minister Maria Kiwanuka has been arrested. Police have identified the suspect as Patrick Onyera, who is currently detained at Kampala Central Police Station.

Former Finance Minister Maria Kiwanuka
Former Finance Minister Maria Kiwanuka


Onyera was arrested on Wednesday night while in possession of stones which he had packed inside a small bag. Prior to his arrest however, two attempts had been made to break into the minister’s office, with the office’s windows shattered. Sources say that upon his arrest, Onyera confessed to having been hired as a mercenary to ‘teach Maria a lesson’ because her two radio stations; Radio One and its sister radio Akaboozi ku Bbiri have insisted on tarnishing the image of the state.

Patrick Onyera (C)  being arrested on Wednesday night after his third attack on Maria's Offices at Radio One (Photo by Stuart Yiga)
Patrick Onyera (C) being arrested on Wednesday night after his third attack on Maria’s Offices at Radio One (Photo by Stuart Yiga)

The Kampala Metropolitan Police spokesperson, Patrick Onyango confirmed the arrest of the culprit. He explained that this was the third time Onyera was raiding former Minister Maria Kiwanuka’s premises.

“According to our records, this same man launched an attack on July 3, 2015, at the Minister’s offices located on City Building where he smashed her office window glasses. He repeated it on July 21, 2015, and on July 28, 2015,” Onyango said.
Onyango added that the suspect was arrested by their officers from Nakasero Market Police Post and detained there, before he was transferred to CPS. Apart from the stones, which he had packed in a small bag, police said, they did not recover any other object from him.
“We have him and our officers are going to subject him for further interrogations to authenticate his statements because when our officers netted him, he started claiming he had been hired by someone to cause harm to the minister,” Onyango added. Meanwhile, by press time, Police detectives were planning to take the suspect to Butabika for mental examination.

Subscribe for notification