Vaginal odour is a very common problem that most women have to deal with at least once or twice in their life.
Vaginal odour can be due to a number of reasons, such as bacterial growth, yeast infections, poor hygiene, hormonal changes, and sexually transmitted diseases.
If the problem is due to infection, there may be symptoms like redness, itching, burning and irritation in the vaginal area. A fishy odour down there, in particular, is caused by bacterial vaginosis.
No matter what the reason, vaginal odour can be very embarrassing. There are many natural remedies to help treat vaginal odour.
Here are the top 10 ways to get rid of vaginal odor.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
Due to its antibacterial and antiseptic properties, apple cider vinegar can be used to fight vaginal odor. In fact, taking a bath with apple cider vinegar is one of the simplest ways to get rid of the bad odor. This will help fight off the toxins and bacteria that cause vaginal odor. It will also help restore the acidic quality of the vaginal flora.
- Mix two cups of apple cider vinegar in warm bath water. Soak in it for about 20 minutes. Follow this remedy several times a week to get quick results.
- You can also drink a glass of water mixed with one or two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar daily.
- Baking Soda
Baking soda is another ingredient that can be used to balance the pH level in your body. When the pH level is in balance, the problem of vaginal odor will dissipate.
- Add one-half cup of baking soda to your bathwater.
- Soak your lower body in it for about 20 minutes.
- Dry yourself thoroughly with a clean towel. This remedy will help fight a yeast infection and can help get rid of odor quickly.
Another good ingredient that can be used to treat vaginal odor is yogurt. Yogurt is rich in lactobacillus bacteria, which help fight candida infection (one of the most common causes of vaginal odor) and restore the normal vaginal pH level. Once the pH level is balanced, the vaginal odor will be gone.
- Eat two cups of unsweetened, plain yogurt daily. You can also take probiotic supplements.
- Another option is to soak a tampon in plain yogurt and insert it into your body. Leave it in for a few hours, and rinse the area thoroughly after removing the tampon.
- White Vinegar
White vinegar has the power to neutralize odors by breaking down odor proteins. A white vinegar rinse will help eliminate vaginal odor. It will also help restore pH levels in the vagina.
- Mix one-half cup each of white vinegar and salt in lukewarm bath water.
- Soak in it for a few minutes.
- Follow this remedy several times a week.
- Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil contains strong antifungal as well as antiseptic properties, and thus it can be used to get rid of unpleasant vaginal odor. It will help get rid of bacteria that are contributing to the problem.
- Add three drops of tea tree oil to a cup of water. Use this solution to rinse the affected area daily or several times a week.
- Alternatively, dip a tampon in olive oil and then put a little tea tree oil on it. Insert the tampon and leave it in for at least one hour. Do this several times a week.
Garlic is a natural antibiotic that can be great for dealing with vaginal infections as well as vaginal odor. The antifungal properties present in garlic will help fight a yeast infection and help your body get rid of bad bacteria.
- Eat garlic in raw or cooked form on a daily basis. You can eat one or two raw garlic cloves on an empty stomach with a glass of warm water. You can also add garlic cloves or its paste to your dishes and salads.
- Another option is to put a piece of garlic in the vagina for an hour or two. Do this daily or a few times a week until you get rid of the problem.
Fenugreek is highly beneficial for women. When consumed on a regular basis, it helps balance the hormones and promotes regular menstrual cycles.
- Soak one or two teaspoons of fenugreek seeds in one cup of water before going to bed. The next morning, strain out the seeds and drink the water on an empty stomach.
- You can also use fenugreek seeds to make herbal tea. To prepare this tea, boil one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water. Strain and drink it two times a day.
Note: Fenugreek can cause diarrhea and skin irritation. If you experience these effects, discontinue use of this remedy.
- Indian Gooseberry
Indian gooseberry, also known as amla, can be used to get rid of unpleasant vaginal odor. It is a kind of natural blood purifier and organic cleanser, hence it can control the infection that causes vaginal odor.
At the same time, this natural ingredient can also be used to control problematic leucorrhoea (thick vaginal discharge).
Simply eat Indian gooseberry daily, either raw or in other forms like pickles, amla powder, juice and so on.
Due to its antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties, neem or Indian lilac can also be used to fight vaginal infections and get rid of vaginal odors.
Boil a handful of neem leaves in a pan of water.
Strain and allow it to cool.
Use this solution to rinse the vaginal area daily for a few days or a week.
- Citrus Fruits
Citrus foods can also help your body fight infections more effectively and prevent vaginal odor. Citrus foods are rich in vitamin C, an immune booster, and they can also help remove harmful toxins present in the body.
A strong immune system will allow your body to fight off the harmful bacteria that cause vaginal odor. These fruits will also help fight urinary tract infections.
Simply eat fruits such as grapes, oranges, sweet lime, lemons, cranberries, grapefruits, pineapples and so on.
Drink plenty of water throughout the day to flush out toxins and harmful bacteria from the body. It will also help ward off a variety of health issues.
Avoid refined carbohydrates, caffeine and sugary drinks; sugar stimulates yeast production.
Check for possible signs of infection that could be causing this problem.
Maintain proper personal hygiene.
Wear 100 percent cotton panties that allow air circulation and help keep the vulva ventilated, thus avoiding excessive perspiration.
Change pads, tampons, and panty-liners frequently.
Avoid using scented products down there as they may contribute to unbalanced vaginal pH.
If the problem mostly occurs after intercourse then simply wash the vagina with mild soap and water after sex.
Practice safe sex.
At times, women simply do not like the normal vaginal odor caused by vaginal secretions. However, there is nothing bad about it, you just need to respect your body and embrace your natural odor.If the problem is severe or does not get better with the home remedies then it is suggested to consult a doctor.