Forum for Democratic Change (FDC) party spokesperson Ibrahim Ssemujju Nganda has said that speaking on behalf of Museveni can be embarrassing because he is a man who cannot keep his word.
Appearing on NBS today morning, Ssemujju said Museveni can “once says he is available, next, says he is busy.” He said President Museveni previously “assured Inter Religious Council, organizers of the debate that he would be available for the debate,” but later pulled out.
Responding to Ssemujju’s argument, The National Resistance Movement Campaign Task force spokesperson Mike Sebalu denied that President Museveni previously agreed to attend the debate.
“We have a campaign schedule. Mobilization has already started in these districts; we can’t just change for the debate. NRM has money to buy airtime on TV but now, we have a campaign schedule which is priority. On that day (Jan. 15), we have 3 rallies. During this period, what can be more important than rallies?” he said.
Ssemujju said FDC is ready to wait until Museveni is available.
He argued that President Museveni is deliberately skipping the debate because he fears Ugandans will further see Besigye’s potential.
The two leading presidential candidates; Museveni and Besigye pulled out of the presidential debate slated for Friday 15th January at Serena.
NRM camp argued that Museveni will be busy attending rallies while Besigye said he cannot attend a debate if Museveni is not present.