The National Budget 2016/17 is to be presented today.
It’s expected to amount to Shs26 trillion (up from Sh21 trillion).
The major nominal sector allocations are as follows:
1. Interest payments – Sh6.4 trillion
2. Works & Transport – Sh3.8 trillion
3. Education – Sh2.75 trillion
4. Energy & Minerals – Sh2.4 trillion
5. Health – Sh1.85 trillion
6. Security – Sh1.59 trillion
7. Accountability – Sh1.25 trillion
8. Public sector management – Sh1.2 trillion
9. Justice/Law & Order – Sh1.12 trillion
10. Agriculture – Sh0.8 trillion
* Agriculture budget has almost doubled.
* Taxes on agricultural equipment to be removed.
* Taxes on fuel, sugar and cigarettes to rise
* Salaries for teachers to rise.
* A Women’s Enterprise Fund of Sh50 billion.
* Youth Livelihoods Fund of Sh50 billion.