September 27, 2016

Captured UPDF Soldier Begs M7 To Secure His Release In New Al-Shabab Video

Captured UPDF Soldier Begs M7 To Secure His Release In New Al-Shabab Video


Somali Militant Islamist group, al-Shabab has released a video showing what it says is a Ugandan soldier captured a year ago in Somalia.

In the six-minute film, a man in a Ugandan military uniform asks Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni to help secure his release.

He says he was captured in an al-Shabab attack on an African Union base in the Somali town of Janale, in which he says between 40 to 50 Ugandan troops were killed.

An AMISOM soldier stands guard close to destroyed vehicles following a suicide attack which targeted a convoy of African Union troops on September 8, 2014. (Photo/AFP).
An AMISOM soldier stands guard close to destroyed vehicles following a suicide attack which targeted a convoy of African Union troops on September 8, 2014. (Photo/AFP).

 

The army leadership says it has not seen the video, but everything was being done to secure the release of the captured soldier.

Uganda provides the biggest contingent of troops to the AU force.

THE ATTACK

On September 1st last year, the Islamist group overran an African Union military base in southern Somalia, inflicting heavy casualties.

The militants said they had killed 70 AU soldiers at the Janale base, 90km (55 miles) south-west of the capital.

Al-Shabab, part of al-Qaeda, is battling the AU-backed government for control of Somalia.

The militants had earlier damaged a nearby bridge with a massive bomb to prevent troops from escaping.

Enable Notifications    Ok No thanks