The Court of Appeal Judge, Christopher Madrama has dismissed the bail application of Sheikh Yunus Muhammad Kamoga, the former leader of Jamatil Dawatil Salafiya.
Justice Madrama dismissed Kamoga’s bail application this morning, saying that although the applicant convinced court that he is sickly, his application doesn’t indicate that Luzira Prisons can’t manage his case.
He also explained that Kamoga was convicted on a capital offense of terrorism and therefore his application can’t be handled like that of other convicts. “The application is dismissed and the Appeal case is to be fixed expeditiously and the records will be availed to the applicant”, said Madrama.
He directed the Registrar of the International Crimes Division of High Court to avail him with records of the proceedings, which the court based on to convict and sentence Kamoga to life imprisonment.
Kamoga’s lawyer, Friday Robert Kagolo filed his bail application in the court of appeal on grounds of ill health, saying his client has High blood pressure. He also argued that Kamoga is of advanced age at 65 years and therefore entitled to bail to seek treatment.
He also told court that they decided to file for bail, saying there is likelihood that there may be delays in hearing his client’s appeal challenging his sentence for life in prison.
But the State Attorney, Lillian Omara asked court to dismiss the application on grounds that Kamoga was scared by the conviction by High Court and there was a likelihood of him absconding from court once released.
Speaking to URN outside court, Hussein Kyanjo, one of Kamoga’s sureties, said they are satisfied with the court decision and called for a speedy hearing of Kamoga’s Appeal.
The other sureties included Imam Kasozi, Sheikh Suleiman Kaketto, Nyende Ayub, Sirajje Kalyango, Yunus Butanaziba and Musa Nankumba.
Kamoga was convicted and sentenced alongside Sheikh Murta Mudde Bukenya, Sheikh Fahad Kalungi, and Sirajje Kawooya by a panel of three judges, Ezekiel Muhanguzi, Jane Kiggundu and Percy Tuhaise for abetting terrorism in a trial that ended in August 2017.
They were part of a group that had been on trial for plotting the murder of Mustafa Bahiga, the former Kampala District Amir and Hassan Ibrahim Kirya; the former Spokesperson of the Kibuli based Muslim faction and the attempted murder of Dr. Haruna Jjemba, the leader of a rival Tabligh sect.
Court exonerated them of the murder and attempted murder charges due to lack of evidence. They were instead convicted of terrorism based on evidence of printed fliers inscribed with the names of those listed for murder.
The fliers were reportedly distributed in numerous mosques prior to the 2013 shootings. The accused persons reportedly held meetings in their homes, planning to kill the accused persons and had reportedly sent messages with pictures of graves, coffins and bullets to the targets. They appealed the conviction.