Kampala: At the invitation of His Excellency Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, President of the Republic of Uganda, Her Excellency Samia Suluhu Hassan, the President of the United Republic of Tanzania, has arrived in the country for a two-day State visit from 10th to 11th May, 2022.
The purpose of this visit is to further strengthen the excellent historical and fraternal relations between the Republic of Uganda and the United Republic of Tanzania.
President Museveni and President Suluhu will hold a tète a tète to review areas of cooperation for the benefit of the two sisterly countries.
President Suluhu will also address Business Executives, Policy makers, the Private Sector and other high-level Government officials at a Business dialogue with the view of abolishing tariff and non tariff barriers that frustrate the flow of business and employment opportunities of populations of the two countries.
The Business Dialogue will among other things address Job creation, boost bilateral trade in goods and services enhance Foreign Direct Investments and promote tourism.
Objectives of this Business dialogue include to;
- i) Strengthen the trade relationship and linkages between Uganda and Tanzania through high-level public-private sector dialogue for economic growth and job creation for the youth.
- ii) Leverage the dialogue to eliminate the tariff and non-tariff barriers to trade that affect job creation for the countries’ youths.
iii) Create a business-to-business dialogue and partnerships between Ugandan and Tanzania Business Actors.
Business commitments between Uganda and Tanzania
1) Fast-tracking the implementation of Infrastructural developments in the areas of energy, water & road transportation and the Standard Gauge Railway with the capacity to employ upto 30,000 persons.
2) Exploiting the pathogenic economy through the joint establishment of pharmaceutical companies to produce vaccines and veterinary drugs to help communities that keep livestock. This is expected to create at least 3000 direct jobs and 10000 indirect jobs in the value chain.
3) Constructing of the gas pipeline from Tanzania to Uganda.