FELIX KAWEESI: A Tragedy that questioned security in Uganda

By Isa Kasalu

Kampala – The sudden death of Andrew Felix Kaweesi exposed loopholes in security agencies mostly police. His death did not only instigate endless killings of Ugandans but also serious changes in security organs in the country including; introducing a new security force the Local Defence Unit (LDU).

Today marks three years since the death of Assistant Inspector General of Police (AIGP), Kaweesi who was gunned down on the morning of March 17, 2017, when he was leaving his home for duty.

He was travelling with one of his bodyguards, Kenneth Erau and the driver, Geoffrey Wambewo, who were both killed barely 100metres from their boss’s gate.

The three dead bodies were taken to Mulago National Referral Hospital for post-mortem. It was learnt that Kaweesi was shot 27 times, his bodyguard, Kenneth Erau, 33 times while the driver, Geoffrey Wambewo, was shot 11 times; affirming the Police boss was primarily beleaguered.

The police vehicle in which the three were travelling in was found to have 77 bullet holes.

According to eyewitnesses, two riding motorcycles came from behind, passed by and turned-back stopping in front of unarmoured police vehicle opening fire. Kaweesi’s driver, Wambewo, tried to increase the speed but he was outrun by the motorbikes.

Uganda has been facing high-profile murders with a similar mode since November 2016. Maj. Sulaiman Kiggundu who was gunned down in his car by gunslingers on two motorcycles.

Former IGP, Kale Kayihura gives slain AIGP Andrew Felix Kawesi instructions at a ceremony in 2016. (PHOTO: File)

About 48 hours before his murder, Kaweesi confided in a priest about the message he received on phone threatening his life. The message was from an unregistered number.


The security agencies have carried out an extensive investigation into the murder. However, there have been no conclusive findings on who and why Kaweesi was killed.

The Internal Security Organisation (ISO) findings indicated that the guns used in the murder were not registered in Uganda, just like the phone SIM cards used to communicate.


A total of 22 suspects were produced in Nakawa Magistrates Court, although Police failed to adduce evidence against them.

As a result, the Nakawa chief magistrate’s court released 19 of them, on bail. But when Ahmada Shaban Ssenfuka, Umar Maganda, Abdul-Majid Ojerere and Ibrahim Kissa were granted bail in March 2017, they were re-arrested on fresh charges of terrorism and treason.

About Post Author