Magara Murder: City Lawyer Bikanga Released From Custody

Details have emerged why City Lawyer, Muzamiru Bikanga who was locked up in connection to the murder of Susan Magara was released from custody.

Magara was kidnapped on February 7th, 2018 at around 9pm as she was heading to her apartment in Lungujja, a Kampala suburb in Lubaga Division.

Her vehicle was found abandoned along Kabaka Anjagala road, a few hours later.  It is alleged that the kidnappers kept Magara in a rented house in Konge in Nakawuka in Wakiso District for three weeks as they demanded for a ransom of Shillings 700million from her father, John Magara before they killed her and dumped her body on the Southern bypass between Kigo and Kajansi.

As a result, Police picked up several suspects including Magara’s family lawyer, Muzamiru Bikanga. Nine suspects have since appeared in court for the kidnap and murder of Magara. Despite being picked up as an accomplice to the murder, Bikanga was released last week without charge.

Fresh details show that the Director of Public Prosecutions declined to sanction charges against Bikanga citing lack of evidence connecting him to the murder. Bikanga was arrested after a member of Magara’s family identified the voice in the ransom call recordings as that of his brother, Yakoob Byansi.

According to Police, two suspects including Byansi’s wife, Hajarah Nakandi later confessed to have been part of the kidnap and murder operation.

It is this confession that police used to connect Bikanga to the murder since he was among the few people who knew about the US1 million that Magara’s father John Magara tried to use to buy land belonging to Bunyoro Kingdom in vain.

He is alleged to have told Byansi that Magara had the money at home and they should find a way to get it. According to the source, despite the confessions and fact that Bikanga knew about the existence of the money, there was no other evidence connecting him to the crime. There was also no evidence of communication between Bikanga and Byansi and no evidence of collusion.

“No phone records, no information on where they met, nothing. It was their word against his word and the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) refused to sanction any charges,” the source said. Shortly after being released, Bikanga took to his social media page, saying “God is great, the truth will always come out.”

Attempts by our reporter to speak to him where futile as his known mobile number was switched off.


About Post Author