Five people in Uganda have so far died from the latest outbreak of Ebola after another patient succumbed to the virus yesterday.
The latest victim, a 29-year-old woman, died at Bombo Hospital, near Luweero, where she was admitted on Tuesday last week.
Halima Nakimbugwe is said to have contracted the disease while nursing her husband, a boda-boda rider, who was the first person to die in the most recent outbreak in the country, in Luweero District, 70kms from the Capital – Kampala.
Ministry of Health spokesperson Rukia Nakamatte, said Nakimbugwe died yesterday afternoon at Bombo Hospital, where results of the tests carried out confirmed that she had contracted Ebola.
Two other people confirmed to have been infected with the virus have been admitted to Mulago Hospital. Another 12 suspected to have been infected with the virus are also admitted to Mulago, while six are at Bombo Hospital.
“The number of confirmed Ebola patients remains the two admitted to Mulago Hospital, while the number of contacts has risen from 34 to 40. These are being monitored both in Kampala and Bombo,” Ms Nakamatte said.
Another suspect from Mbarara was also admitted to Mulago yesterday after he presented signs of the Ebola fever. His blood samples have been taken for tests and results are expected soon.