Fire Guts Excel High School Girls’ Dormitory

Students trying to trace for their belongings

Property worth millions of shillings has been destroyed by a Wednesday fire at Excel High School in northern division, Kabale municipality.

Students trying to trace for their belongings
Students trying to trace for their belongings

The fire, which broke out at 10:00am, affected the girl’s dormitory.

The dormitory houses over 120 students according to sources from the school.

Robert Ampaire, the school’s director, claims the fire was caused by a power surge.

Ampaire says no student was injured because they were all in class at the time.

Police with the help of residents battled to put out the fire.

Sunday Buchana, the officer in charge of the fire department in the Kigezi region, said Police had cautioned the school about fire hazards three months ago.

Buchana says they advised the school to improve the wiring, get rid of triple decker beds and make fire exit routes more easily accessible.

But Ampaire says the dormitory had only three triple decker beds left. He also insists the dormitory’s wiring was in good order, although it had been installed 20 years ago.

Ampaire instead accuses Umeme, the power supplier, of endangering the lives of clients with unstable electricity supply.

About Post Author