Ten suspected terrorists, who were recently arrested from Kisenyi in Kampala while hatching plans to attack Uganda, have been remanded to Luzira Maximum Security prison.
Their remand by Buganda Road Court comes two weeks after prosecution had formally applied to court to have the suspects further detained at Kireka’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) for further investigations, which the state said could not be done while at Luzira.
But court decided to send them to Luzira Prison this morning after the state informed court presided over by Grade One Magistrate Simon Kintu that the primary investigations that had necessitated the suspects to be further detained at SIU are complete.
The state prosecutor Edward Muhumuza further in his submissions to court said that the police is still retrieving documentary evidence that will be used against the suspects.
The group comprising of 9 Somali nationals and one Kenyan was charged late last month with offenses relating to aiding and abetting terrorism and belonging to terror group Al-Shabaab.
The suspects who also include two women were arrested after a tip off from police that they were illegally involved in activities that would help a terror group Al-shabaab to make preparations of attacking Uganda.
They included; businessman Mohamed Abdulkdir Hirsi alias Mohamed Abdul Aziz Adan, 31, a resident of Katwe- Kibirige House, Abdi Abdullahi Bootan, 26, a driver and resident of Kisenyi, Hassan Abduwali Mohamoud, 25, resident of Kisenyi, Mohammed Ahmed Gele, 28, , resident of Lubaga Road, Yasimin Abdullahi Aden, 20, a housewife and resident of Kisenyi, and Hodan Ahmed Dahir, 23, resident of Kisenyi, Mengo, Kampala.
Others are; Yusufu Osman Hussein, 29, businessman and resident of Namalwa I zone, Bukesa, Rubaga division, Abdi Mohamed, 29, resident of Namalwa I zone, Bukesa, Rubaga division, and Abdul Kadir,24, resident of Mengo Kisenyi opposite Missionary Poor School, Rubaga division.
The only Kenyan national was Mohamed Yusuf Farah, 31, a manager at Hauliers Transport, resident of Bulange, Mengo, Rubaga division.
The suspects, who have not been allowed to plead to the charges since their case can only be tried by the High Court, will return to court on October 23 for mention of their case on how far the investigations have gone.