Katumbi Still Barred From Entering DR Congo
Opposition leader Moise Katumbi has lashed out at the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) after being barred from entering the country where he is expected to lodge his papers to participate in December’s long-delayed presidential election.
In a tweet posted on Friday afternoon, he said he would “fight” what he called an attempt to “withdraw from Congolese their right to real elections”.
“The regime prohibits my landing and barricades the border … My crime? Wanting to enter my country and lodge my candidacy,” he said.
The wealthy businessman (above), who has been living in self-imposed exile since 2016, had originally planned to fly from South Africa to Lubumbashi, the capital of Katanga province.
But the city’s mayor said on Thursday that Katumbi was refused entry, while the public prosecutor’s office said the opposition leader had been charged with “harming the state’s domestic and external security” and would be immediately arrested if he returned.